Is your house feeling quieter these past few weeks? Admit it... you miss Topsy and Tim don't you? The series ended with the irritating, yet bizarrely watchable duo starting school and the acoustic slow-downed version of the theme tune made us all cry. (Don't lie! You cried when they started school just like I did!)
Since the weird sugar coated family of four have left our screens my boy has moved his affection to Grandpa in my Pocket. Obviously, I initially resisted the change but have grown to love him. (You should read this excellent blog by my friend Jess about the 7 stages of new CBeebies shows. It's too true!) But I really did hold a special place for those sickly sweet twins... well, one of them.
It's not just me is it? Who loves Topsy, but hates Tim? Surely.
Topsy is clearly better, cooler and funner than Tim. (She's so much funner, she'd deffo use the word funner... Tim would probably say 'more fun' because he's not as fun.)
Here's why I'm #TeamTopsy
1. The Memory Game Intro. When Topsy says "are you good at remembering?" and does the "are you good at remembering face"... NAILED IT. Honestly, I think that's the best 3 seconds of children's TV I've ever seen.
My husband and I miss this clip so much we regularly recreate it. Try as we might, no one does the "are you good at remembering face" like Topsy. #TeamTopsy.
2. Topsy can load a dishwasher. In Dad's Office, after breakfast, they both put their cereal bowls in the dishwasher... Topsy does this like a normal human being but Tim... Oh Tim.
3. In First Day, Topsy has to wear a cardigan with BUTTONS to school. Once again, she nails it. Beautifully buttoned cardigan.... Tim has a flipping sweatshirt to put on and screws it up. Seriously Tim... you had one job...
4. In New Bikes, Tim falls off his bike into a hedge and gets a thorn in his thumb. Topsy rides around the garden like an elegant swan (on a bike).
5. In Lost Cat, Topsy utters the immortal line "We'll call him Tiger Fluffyboots". Yes we will Tops! And thus was born the best name for an elderly neighbour's cat even invented.
6. In Helping Dad, Topsy a) is awesome at wallpaper pasting (my 2 year old exclaimed "WOW Topsy is REALLY good at paste painting" and he was right!) b) recognises her own father's failures and c) totally saves the day by calling DIY Derek. Tim is nowhere to be seen until Topsy calls him in as back up, when he basically does and says nothing useful for the entire episode.
7. In Sore Paw Topsy shows compassion, skill and excellent vetinary potential by getting a stone out of Mossy's paw. Tim doesn't.
8. In Birthday Party, Dad suggests engraves their birthday present (a wooden playhouse, which will last about 2 weeks because it wasn't even varnished) with T + T (for Topsy and Tim). Tim's friend who has moved away (probably because Tim is so boring) plays in it with them and then Dad suggests adding ANOTHER T, for Tony. What a cheek! Topsy shows huge generosity of spirit by not totally flipping out over the ludicrous suggestion that HER birthday playhouse be engraved with Tim's (ex)friend Tony's initial.
9. In every episode her hair is to die for. Oh Topsy. How I miss you and your awesome hair...
So tell me, are you #TeamTopsy too? (Haha! Of course you are.... no one likes Tim!?!!)